Saturday, October 11, 2008

Freedom from Sin in Christ!

Sometimes we can feel that we are unable to get out of a bad habit or sin. We can feel that there is only wickedness in us and that we are always confessing sin but going back to doing it all over again and feel like sin has mastery over us. Is that true that even Paul struggled with this after he became a Christian when he says?
Romans 7:18-20
I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.


Paul here is talking about the life before Christ when sin has mastery over us. He is presenting a case for life before Christ when we live as slaves to sin and says that we are wreteched to live this way. But there is a solution for sin through Jesus Christ.
Romans 7:21-25
So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!


Yes, thanks be to Christ who has broken the mastery of sin over us! Paul expounds in Romans that our old self was crucified with Christ and therefore sin and death have no mastery over us! In fact, we are dead to sin!
Romans 6:6-10
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Yes we are dead to sin! However, it does not mean that we no longer sin at all. Even after we become new people in Christ, we still sin once in a while and we still need to confess those sins. A new person who is in Jesus Christ and who has a change of heart is not a "slave to sin". There is a difference.


What sin are you struggling with? Now, reflect on what is your theology? Are you holding onto the verses where Paul states that he struggled with sin, as a basis for your sinfulness without realising that Paul was talking about life before Christ? Jesus Christ has set you free and you are no longer a slave of sin! Ask God to help you understand the freedom He has given you and walk free from sin!
John 8:31-36
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?” Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

No comments: