Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rock of Ages, Cleft for me

Have you heard the old hymn Rock of Ages, Cleft for me?
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

According to a famous story, Rev. Augustus Montague Toplady wrote this hymn when he was travelling along a gorge and was caught in a storm. Finding shelter in a gap in the gorge, he was struck by the title and scribbled down the initial lyrics.

Life is so much like that. There are storms we have to face everyday - they may not always be natural calamities but storms in financial markets, or our jobs or in our relationships. Whatever the nature of our storm, the Lord wants to let us know that He is our refuge and shelter and our ever present help. He is our rock, eternal and steadfast. We can have perfect peace if we learn to trust Him even in the midst of the storm.
Isaiah 26:3-4
You will keep in perfect peace
&nbsp &nbsp him whose mind is steadfast,
&nbsp &nbsp because he trusts in you.
Trust in the LORD forever,
&nbsp &nbsp for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.


David was faced with many problems. As a young man, he was hunted down for his life by King Saul, someone whom he looked up to as a father figure. He faced heartache and was fleeing for his life everyday but he understood that he would be safe as long as he trusted in God, who was a rock higher than any problem or rock he would ever face.
Psalm 61:1-4
Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.


When faced with trials and tribulations, what do you do? Do you fear and hide within yourself? Or do you hide yourself in the Rock that is higher than you? Make God your hiding place and He will protect you and deliver you!
Psalm 32:7
You are my hiding place;
you will protect me from trouble
and surround me with songs of deliverance.

No comments: