Thursday, September 25, 2008

Directions for Life

Have you ever taken directions from anyone to get to a particular place? Let us suppose you were asked to take the first left, followed by the third right and then the second left to arrive at the destination. If the first turn you took was wrong, say for example, you took the first right instead of the first left but followed every direction after that correctly, do you know that you will not arrive at the correct destination? That's what God says about wisdom. True wisdom and understanding starts when we first come to God and know Him for who He is and that's why Solomon wrote the following famous proverb:

Proverbs 9:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.


So if you are a Christ follower, we are at least on the right path to wisdom as we know Him. But sometimes instead of letting God doing the leading, we decide to take the control. If we liken the Christian life to driving the car, we have Jesus in the car. The question is whether He has the full control at the front seat or are we the ones really in control telling God what He needs to do by being a back seat driver! An important truth we need to realise is that if God is providing directions for our lives, He needs to be in the front seat and in full control! Jesus is the shepherd, the good shepherd who knows what we need and will do everything to provide, protect, nurture and establish us! We just need to follow as His sheep.
Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.


God desires to truly direct us each day. Like a shepherd who leads his sheep step by step, we can too get directions for each step from God's words. We need to spend time with the Good Shepherd to get wisdom, guidance so that we can prepared to do His will! We need to spend time reading His word, spend time praying in His presence and hearing His voice so that we are directed by God.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NLT)
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

John 10:27
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.


Be encouraged that if you are a Christian that you have access to God - the source of all wisdom and knowledge! Be also encouraged that God is our shepherd and He wants to lead us step by step. Are you as His sheep, listening for His voice everyday from His word and giving Him full control to lead you?

2 comments:

Mohan Panda said...

Hey Liz,

Your writings are inspirational - I browse through them from time to time and I can see God's gifting in you. Much love to you and Chenobu,

Be a blessing!

Panda

Liz said...

Hi Panda

Thanks for your kinds words and encouragement!

How are Sini and Rohan doing? Take care and Cheno joins me in sending our love and best wishes to you all.

Love n Prayers
--Liz
http://www.iseeinpart.blogspot.com