Monday, August 11, 2008

Don't look back but look ahead!!

There are times when we feel we missed out on life, that we could have done differently and things would been better. We all have regrets but dwelling on them and constantly looking back will weigh us down and hinder our run to the front. When you watch a major sporting event, you see that the athletes do not run or swim in a race constantly looking back, else vital seconds will be lost and the result will suffer. Similarly, dwelling on regrets in our life is like looking back in a race and this will cause us to lose focus, trip up and the final result will be robbed.

Jesus preached this too. What does the following mean?
Luke 9:62
Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."

Plowing involves always moving ahead - moving ahead in a straight line to till the soil. No farmer ever goes back to the soil that he has already plowed. Jesus is essentially saying that we can't go back to where we have been and live in the past. The future is ours for the taking and we need to move ahead!
We cannot redeem the time from our past but God is able to redeem time for us! Let's press on heavenward in knowledge and obedience to our Lord Jesus and as we focus on what is ahead, we are sure to win!
Philippians 3:13b,14
Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


The enemy will come to undermine us and constantly condemn us. We need to stand grounded on God's word and continue to persevere and understand that there is no condemnation for those who are in Chist Jesus (Romans 8:1). Each day is a new beginning and a fresh start with new opportunities to live fully for His glory.
Lamentations 3: 21-23
Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, 
  for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
  great is your faithfulness. 

Paul exhorts us to run the race of life keeping in mind the eternal finish line! We want to hear the words of our Lord, "Well done, good and faithful servant!" Running to win here means running with faithfulness, not giving up easily. Just like a professional athlete, we are called to run the race of life with perseverance, passion and purpose!
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (The Message)
You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally.
I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.


I want to run in a way to hit the tape and win in the eternal race! What about you? Decide not to look back but look ahead. Don't be sloppy but shape up!! Let's run to win.
2 Timothy 4: 7-8
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day - and not only yo me, but also to all who have onged for his appearing. 

No comments: