Friday, August 1, 2008

More fruit

The call of every Christian is to produce Christ like character or fruit. The fruit is singular referring to the unified Christ like character that the Holy Spirit produces and has the underlying orientation of selfless and outgoing concern for others as expressed in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal 5:22-23). Of the fruit listed, love is the primary fruit that should characterize every believer as every other fruit is an expression of love and reflects the eternal unchanging character of God which continues to remain even after everything else comes to an end.

A believer will produce spiritual fruit as long as the believer stays connected to Jesus, the True Vine. Just like a branch stays connected to the vine and allowing the sap to flow through, when we abide in Christ, the Holy Spirit will flow from the vine to the branches, which is us. The spiritual fruit is thus naturally produced by the Holy Spirit as the believer abides in Jesus and lives in full consecration, perfect conformity, absolute dependence and undoubting confidence on Jesus and allowing his life to be taken in and receiving his life making “Abide in me and I in you” (Jn 15:4) a reality.
John 15:5-8
I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.


The fruit in our lives can be measured by our willingness to lay our personal agenda behind and willing to serve God by serving others. The fruit is always in expressed in relation to one another in community and is not measured in isolation to ourself.
John 15:12-14
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.


What is the measure of fruit in your life? Are you progressing in expressing Christ like character to others around you? Let us not be deceived, our love for God is always expressed by the way we treat our fellow being and our willingness to serve them.

No comments: