Sunday, August 24, 2008

Guidance for our lives

Light helps us to see. If we are in darkness, we do not see and perceive as things really are. It is when God shone His light into our hearts that we were able to see our need for Him as our Lord and Saviour and come to Him.
1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

How much more then God is able to show us His light in our life after we have come to know Him? How much more is He able to guide us through the pathways of life and take us where we need to be?! We can be confident that the same God who shone His light into our hearts will definitely light our paths and guide us in His purposes for us!

God will definitely guide us. He is waiting to help us because He does not want us to do it alone. The Bible shows us that God is guiding His people incrementally - as they focus on one step at a time. Although God sometimes gives believers a special glimpse of their future through prophecy etc, it is not the norm. God's direction and guidance can be likened to light from a lamp, enough light to softly illumine the path just ahead so that we can take a step or two forward. When we view God's direction as a giant searchlight revealing the whole future rather than a lamp gently showing us the next steps, we are setting ourselves for disillusionment and disappointment. We need to accept that God's guidance comes step by step and this will enable us to walk our everyday with Him!
Isaiah 30:21
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."


God truly wants to guide us and He always takes initiative to show us the way as He is our shepherd. The question is, as His sheep, are we listening actively for His voice everyday? The way we can truly have guidance from God is to meditate on His word and live in communion with Him every single day. Meditating means thinking deeply, pondering and reflecting upon the words over and over again so that the Word of God resounds through our very soul and being. Meditating on God's word allows us to keep our hearts right before God and gaining wisdom, discernment and insight to guide us through the turns of life when we need direction.
Psalm 119: 97 - 105
Oh, how I love your law!     I meditate on it all day long.
Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies.
I have more insight than all my teachers,  for I meditate on your statutes.
I have more understanding than the elders,  for I obey your precepts.
I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word.
I have not departed from your laws,  for you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
I gain understanding from your precepts;therefore I hate every wrong path.
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.

Are you reading and meditating on His word daily? Are you allowing God to direct your steps everyday? God desires to direct your steps!
Proverbs 20:24
A man's steps are directed by the LORD.How then can anyone understand his own way?

No comments: