Sunday, August 31, 2008

Trading your Sorrows

Have you ever received an unbelievable bargain and wondered what's the catch? Compared to most bargains in this world, the most unbelievable, radical offer comes from Jesus. He offers to take all our sorrows, our shame in exchange for His joy and glory!
Isaiah 53:4-5
Surely he took up our infirmities
and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God,
smitten by him, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.


We all go through hard times, everyone of us. But we need not do it alone. When we give our pain and circumstances to God, He will make beauty out of ashes because that is God's speciality! So we can rejoice in what God will do!
Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Sorrow is short lived but joy is eternal and does not depend on the outward circumstances. The Lord says that in His kingdom, there will be no more pain or suffering or tears.
Revelation 21:3-4
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

In the interim until the final consummation of His kingdom, He promises to be with us and make everything beautiful in His time and give us even joy here and now!

The psalmist David took up God on his offer. He endured injustice after injustice from King Saul who pursued him to take his life. He found solace in God and allowed God to take up his pain and sufering and even more to turn those sorrows into joy. He knew that sorrow, weeping and mourning only last for the night and he will rejoice again.
Psalm 30:5b
Weeping may remain for a night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning.

Psalm 30:11-12
You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
That my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever..


Paul, the apostle of Christ knew this well. Paul wrote the joy soaked book of Philippians while enduring difficult circumstances in prison. He endured hardship of every kind - falsely accused and imprisioned for few years awaiting trial, misunderstood and persecuted on every front, ship wrecked and placed under house arrest. Yet he lived in joy, more concerned for the brothers and sisters in the Philippian church that his own circumstances. He knew that in Christ he had gained everything and had nothing to lose! What a great perspective to hold onto as we live our lives!
Philippians 3: 8
What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gaian Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, biut that which is through faith in Christ - the righteousness that comes from God on the basis on faith. 
In Philippians 4:4, Paul asks us to "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!."

What burdens are you carrying? Jesus has already made an unbelievable offer to you. There is no reason for not trading with Jesus as He is a man of His word and will keep His end of the offer! What are you waiting for? Trade your sorrows and come out singing with joy! If you have Christ, you have everything to live for!
I'm trading my sorrows, I'm trading my shame
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord.

No comments: